001) The Twilight Saga, Stephenie Meyer
002) All Souls Trilogy, Deborah Harkness
003) The Shadowhunter Chronicles, Cassandra Clare
004) Fallen Series, Lauren Kate
005) Vampire Academy/Bloodlines, Richelle Mead
006) Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Joss Whedon
007) Dracula, Bram Stoker
008) The Ice People Legend, Margit Sandemo
The first two stages c
hese were the first four titles I picked for my big storytelling study. Why it was these four, as opposed to any other of the endless options out there, I explain here.
I am primarily interested in stories with paranormal or supernatural themes, but any story will peak my interest if it’s either a great story (allegedly), or a story that has been hugely successful. The tacky, tasteless and terrible ones will also get a chance as the object to this whole adventure is to get a better idea of what works and what doesn’t.
What is a good story?
What makes a story bad?
And is there a way we can learn to identify whether our own stories are good or bad? Or, at the very least, passable?
Do you have any suggestions that I should add to my list? Any titles you think might fit my objective? Please, let me know in the comments below or drop me an email at aswewriteblog at gmail dot com.