WHAT IS MAGIC?
WHAT IS MAGIC? When I decided to get back into the manuscripts for my Ulfrheim saga, it dawned on me that I had a lot of unanswered questions about magic.
Some of these were fairly simple to work out, but others I’m not 100% sure I have resolved yet.
So, in a series of questions, I’m reaching out to you, asking for your thoughts on the subject. Starting with:
– What is magic?
- Is it a talent? (something innate);
- Is it a skill? (something you can learn);
- Is it an energy force? (something you tap into);
- Is it a biological element? (a kind of mutation); or is it, perhaps,
- Something else entirely?
Let’s talk in the comments below or send me a message via socials. Whether you’re a writer, a normal story consumer; a complete fantasy nerd; or a real life häxa/wicca/witch/magic wielder/other, your response is most welcome and appreciated.
Your answers (and any questions you’s like to add) will be added to the collaborative book of magic I’m working on to help further the discussion.  Hopefully, between us, we’ll be able to create a useful resource for storytellers of all ages and competence/experience levels.
Wishing you a peaceful and prosperous day.
© Evalena Styf, 2021
- What questions about magic would you like to discuss? Please, drop them in the comments and I’ll add them to a post for a wider discussion.
- Let me know if I can use your name/username when I mention your comments. If you don’t want your name mentioned, just start your comment with ANON: and I’ll delete it once I’ve read your question. (Comments are only visible to others after I’ve approved them.) For example, ANON: Why do witches wear pointy hats?
Keep Calm & Drink Coffee
I think magic is something that cannot be quantified, cannot be seen, cannot be touched, cannot be measured.
And not everyone can feel it.
Thank you for your sharing your thoughts with me! <3